As with the work of a Business Leadership Coach, the role of Mediator requires a commitment to effective relationships with the participants in the dispute, yet different. The following are the characteristics that are requested in these interactions:
- Truth. Just the facts please. A mediation room is no place for anything less and the disputants deserve the truth at this point.
- Historic. Everyone has a story and yours will be heard. We are in this situation because of where we have been, so let your truth be heard.
- Intuition. Sometimes that gut reaction just seems correct, regardless of the logic of our conscious thought. Listen to your instincts when deciding your position.
- No Losers. The goal of mediation is to define an acceptable solution, even if the prime motive is closure to an annoyance. There is a reason why it is called a “Settlement Agreement.”
- Kindness. At all times be respectful, courteous, patient, understanding and more… At the core of all these is kindness. Please be kind to one another!